Thursday 17 January 2008

16th January 2008


While most of the country is under water we are fortunate to have avoided floods this week. There have even been sunny spells between the showers and as a sign of the ever increasing global warming the daffodils are beginning to come out.



Most of the garden looks rather wet and dead but a couple of the larger Hebe are brightening the place up with their colourful blooms.



Most of our garden ferns die down for the winter but one of the ones at the bottom of the garden, in the wild flower patch under the Leylandi hedge, remains green all winter. I am quite poor at identifying ferns and would love to have an expert show me exactly how to differentiate the common ones. I am taking a guess that this the Hay-scented Buckler fern (Dryopteris aemula) but will be happy for anyone to correct me.

1 comment:

  1. Blimey Senex, I don't have any daffs. out yet, just some snowdrops who are too wimpish to actually open their flowers yet.

    I loved your wordimperfect clerihew meaning.

    Lorenzo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome.